The Salt Lake City Fire Department (SLCFD) needed a better way to manage time, and create greater firefighter accountability for scheduling issues. Battalion chiefs relied on spreadsheets — and a whiteboard with magnets representing individual companies — to create and fill assignments, notify employees of work opportunities, track employee eligibility for overtime, and manage various leave types. This took up to three hours daily, a process that proved to be both cumbersome and prone to errors.
What SLCFD needed was a solution that could:
- Automate scheduling for 360 fire personnel
- Improve operational efficiency
- Ensure compliance specifically based on SLCFD’s rules and labour mandates
“The Kronos Workforce TeleStaff solution effectively bridged the gap between our scheduling and payroll processes. It saves administrative employees a great deal of time through automation and has provided our employees with the ability to manage their own time, which has increased job satisfaction and decreased our liability.”
Technology Services Director
The Kronos® Workforce TeleStaff™ capabilities and the implementation and support team’s extensive knowledge of fire industry scheduling were key factors that led to the award through a competitive bid process.
Kronos Workforce TeleStaff
- Optimise the scheduling, communications, and deployment of public safety personnel and other critical resources
- Minimise compliance risk with an automated scheduling solution that uses your unique scheduling rules and adheres to the necessary labour laws and union rules
- Improve workforce productivity with automated position, shift, and vacation bidding that frees supervisors’ time and improves employee satisfaction
Kronos Workforce TeleStaff has greatly improved scheduling and timekeeping accuracy as well as increased accountability. With the solution, shift opportunities are distributed fairly based on SLCFD’s rules. The solution determines the right candidates based on availability, and then communicates to employees via their preferred contact method, giving employees flexibility and control over their schedules, while saving staffing personnel 20 hours every week. Kronos Workforce TeleStaff automatically saves and exports data to payroll, saving payroll personnel 16 hours every month. Auto-generated reports provide greater insight into operations and labor issues, allowing battalion chiefs to perform analysis for better decision making.